Monday, April 23, 2007

Max Lorick

Max and his sister Emily

Unaccompanied Suite #3 in C Major BWV 1009

Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750)

Prelude
Allemande

J.S. Bach born in Eisenach, Germany in 1685 was probably the greatest composer of his time, though during his time he was only known as a standard working musician. Bach’s family comprised of two wives (Maria Barbra Bach and Anna Magdalena Wilcke) and although Bach had 20 children 10 died in infancy and only 4 became well known composers. Johann Christoph Friedirch and Johann Christian Bach are two of Bach’s sons and probably the most well known, both studied and became very well known composers composing symphonies, operas, keyboard works etc. I don’t think that Bach ever knew what dramatic scene he would make in the music business with his music but it easy to say… J.S. Bach you rock our world. The Prelude in C consists of an A-B-A-C form. The Prelude is more of a fantasy piece where the player moves about maybe slowing down a little here or speeding up so there. The B section introduces thumb position on the cello to meet the necessary chord patterns. This has been a piece I feel like I can really connect with and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
The Allemande is often written as the first movement of the dance suite and originated in the 16th century as a duple meter dance of moderate tempo. The C major Allemande is also the only movement that consists of an upbeat of three sixteenth notes instead of just one. When Bach wrote these pieces he added cadenza-like measures which modified the dance forms. When I first set out to learn the Allemande I realized the technical and musical complexities of the piece. When I would reach one level in the piece there was always another for me to work up to. I think that what I have learned is not just a lesson in music but also a lesson in life. There are always going to be challenges to overcome, and once you reach them there will always be another one bigger and badder coming right behind. I guess the answer is to never give up and always do your best but I wonder what Bach would say?



Max Lorick

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww Ms. Phillips! I didn't know you posted this picture! :)
Hope everything is going well for you!

♥emily

11/17/2009 1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home