Friday, September 05, 2008

A New Journey




Recently I began teaching general music at a local school here in Bloomington, and what I've experienced in these three weeks is that general music can be exciting, challenging (to both myself and the kids) and inspirational.

I came into this with the idea that I wanted to give my students a foundation in music that would easily transfer to instrumental, choral, art, even theatre. However I wasn't sure exactly how I could accomplish that, and then on top of that how would the kids respond.

So, this is my journey through this new adventure that I'm sure will give me food for thought along with (hopefully) some good experiences to draw from.








My third graders are a very sophisticated bunch, thanks in part to their wonderful classroom teachers and their former music teacher. Since I enjoy the collaborative arts I wanted to give them the task of creating their own performance art projects. I have structured it very loosely so as to allow the freedom that third graders need. Pretty much it all centers around a piece of music that they love, are inspired by, or in some cases composed (their choice not my own). I have been impressed by their individuality with their choices and I know they are going to love the end result. For examples I have chosen from projects that I have participated in that I think are suitable for them and others that I know of.

  • Holst's The Planets, along with a picture guide The Planets, A Journey Through the Solar System by Giles Sparrow and my trusty Bulfinch Mythology book (which I recommend everyone should own a copy of).
  • I Saw Your Face, Tom Feelings and Kwame Dawes (a children's book) along with the musical setting by Kevin Simmonds.
  • Falling Down Stairs, Yo-yo Ma Collaboration with the Mark Morris Company
  • Hopefully some images from my friend Liz Sargent, and audio from Returning
Etc. Etc.


I will share the projects that I can with all of you and hopefully you will be inspired as I have.






1 Comments:

Blogger libbilu said...

Oh Coramae! I don't know how I managed to not know you had a blog. I'm so excited to hear about your work with the Montessori school. kisses

9/08/2008 7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home